My C-Section Experience



As a first-time Mom and one who comes from a family where all women had normal deliveries, I was terribly misinformed about what to expect during the labor and birth of my child. Normal delivery was the absolute norm and I refused to even think of a C-section as an alternate option. 
In the fifth month of my pregnancy, I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. That is when I began to realise that all hopes for a normal delivery were fading. My doctor was more positive than I was and apart from keeping me well informed of the complications, she also assured me that inducing labor would be the safest and best option, keeping my condition in mind.
I spent a couple of days reading articles on induced labor mostly because I wanted to see if the end-result was a successful Normal delivery. But it's important to remember that no birthing story is similar and nothing goes as planned. Keeping yourself informed and prepared with options is the best in any situation.
After what seemed like eternity, and during my 36 week scan the doctor was slightly concerned with the baby's weight and decided to set a date for inducing labour. While the weight issue was going to be closely monitored, labour day was set for 2 weeks later - two weeks ahead of the original date.
I was induced at 8 pm and my doctor advised that I would begin to have contractions in the next three hours. 10 hours later, the contractions were no where to be felt. After an examination, they tried once more and by mid-morning I began to have slight contractions. The pain initially seemed bearable and I walked around, took a shower and waited patiently. By 8 pm (almost 24 hours after being induced) the doctor felt that I was not dilated enough. She was going to try one last time if not, c-section was the only option. I still remember being in tears when l suddenly felt a gush and a little while later was moved to the labor room.
The next six hours were not exactly how I pictured my birthing experience to be. The pain tripled and began to increase to the point where I begged for an epidural. The epidural gave me some comfort but I was unsure how much longer I'd be able to bear the pain. By 5 am I was dilated to 4 cm and although my baby showed no sign of distress, the doctor felt it was important that I rush for an emergency c-section.
The mention of 'Cesarean' made me nervous but I had already experienced a pain so severe, I knew I'd be able to get through the surgery. My son was born at 7:33 am and the timely intervention of my doctor saved him from a life-long deformity. 
The doctor later explained that the baby's shoulder became lodged in a position and a normal delivery would not have been possible (without his shoulder being damaged). The C-section was right in time and I certainly believe what my doctor said because the unbearable contractions were probably because of the baby being stuck.
Being informed, prepared and staying updated with birthing stories of other moms is vital when you begin to think of your own birthing plan. Your doctor is your first and only point of contact so it's important you share what and how exactly you want things to go during the birthing process. 
It also helps to keep the following points in mind: 
  1. Be informed and know what situations will warrant an emergency C-section. Discuss the differences between Normal vs. C-section, Induced vs. Planned etc. 
  2. Make an informed choice based on your health during your pregnancy and the possibility of an emergency c-section. It will give you some idea of what to expect.
  3. Discuss what will happen after-delivery: when will you be able to walk, when breastfeeding can begin, general well-being after a C-section, pain and sensation after a C-section. The after-delivery plan is equally important for your well being and is often forgotten once the baby is born.
  4. Your recovery time in the hospital and what precautions you will need to take after delivery.
Don't let unnecessary fears and mindsets stop you from being informed and choosing the best birthing option.
Thank you for taking the time to read. Do let me know if you found this article helpful.
#CSecOrNot

Comments